Discover Wallowa County in the Winter
Wallowa County is a special place in the winter. The small-town charm really shines in the winter with fewer crowds and snow sparkling everywhere. You will find events that celebrate all things winter like snowmobile riding, sled dog races, chili cook-off competitions, vintage snowcats, and so much more. And, opportunities to explore the winter backcountry on skis, snowshoes, or snowmobiles.
Winter might be a quieter time in Wallowa County. Yet, you will find a community that gathers in the evening to celebrate this way of life. After a day of winter recreation, stay a while and catch a local talk, listen to a local band, or hear authors share their recent stories. Non-profits and local businesses regularly provide evening events during the winter.
Check out the Wallowa County Chamber of Commerce website for upcoming winter events and local lodging!
Explore All Things Winter
The following clubs and nonprofits provide opportunities to explore winter. Check out their Facebook pages or websites to learn more.
- Wallowa County Gamblers Snowmobile Club - a local club for winter motorized recreation
- Eagle Cap Nordic Club - a local club for nordic and backcountry winter recreation
- Wallowa Alpine Huts - offers DIY and fully hosted ski hut trips
- Wallowa Avalanche Center - a nonprofit that provides weekly snowpack forecasting and avalanche safety courses
- Eagle Cap Mountain Guides - guided trips by local certified mountain guides
- Eagle Cap Extreme Sled Dog Race - Oregon's only Iditarod and Yukon Quest Qualifier
- Wallowa Valley Community Ice Rink - volunteer-run community ice rink in Enterprise, OR that is open to the public for FREE depending on conditions. Skates are available to rent next to the rink and are self-served.
Check out the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest for road conditions, nordic trails, and snowmobile routes. To access the winter backcountry, several locations in Wallowa County require an Oregon Sno Park pass. Visit either Outlaw Motor Sports in Enterprise or Sports Corral in Joseph to purchase a pass. Or, contact your local Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles.